Detectable?

Ask for help, look for common problems and read Frequently Asked Questions!
Amphoras

Detectable?

Post by Amphoras » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Just wondering if its possible to be detected while using this app? eg. If I use this on some network, can anyone else tell that I'm using it (whether they need to be looking for it or not) and can they tell which device its coming from? If they can tell, how about a network where you need to enter a username/password per user to access the network. Could they tell which user was running it? Same with FaceNiff, I assume they both work in the same/similar way, but can that be detected too?

Not that I plan to use it anywhere I don't have permission obviously. Just out of interest.

ponury

Re: Detectable?

Post by ponury » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:20 pm

This app just like faceniff sends arp replys which can be detected by a sysadmin. And the sysop can find who is the manufacturer of the NIC, so if you have to be logged in to network then probably this can be traced back to you. But only if the sysop is actually listening for packets. And you kill the sysop device :D

Amphoras

Post by Amphoras » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:52 pm

Thanks, so it can be detected, but only if they are actually looking for it. By "And you kill the sysop device" so you mean if you kill their device they can't detect you, or you have to kill their device for them to be able to detect you?

ponury

Post by ponury » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:05 am

I meant that by default no sysop is looking for it. If however you manage to kill a sysop device then he will easily detect what's wrong.

SpyFi

Post by SpyFi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:59 am

You can be detected by ettercap using the arp cop plug. You can also very easily see this kind of ARP activity using wireshark. Will someone assume you are hacking from a cell phone? Not likely. Great white paper subject I want to write about new methods using smart phones, tabs etc.

AndroidUnite

Post by AndroidUnite » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:19 pm

If you ever do write that paper, I would love to have a copy as well as permission to post on my site possibly as a guest piece. Let me know if you're interested, cristian@androidunite.com