It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:23 pm Advanced search

[Request] Check proximity sensor before activate Screen

[Request] Check proximity sensor before activate Screen

Postby Ironist » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:27 am

If I have my N4 in the pocket and it is very hot outside, I think the Touch Control activates my Display easier (I don't know how I get this thoughts).... and after activatition it starts alarm, calendar, and so on.... I have no lock screen with PIN-Code etc. Just slide to the ring to unlock the phone....

I think if you would implement to check proximity sensor before activate the screen the Problem of unwanted turning on in the pocket will be gone. Of course it should only check while it thinks that you want to activate the screen due to battery life.
Ironist

Re: [Request] Check proximity sensor before activate Screen

Postby ponury » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:57 pm

I'll consider this. It actually might not be a bad idea. I wonder if proximity sensor is available while sleeping. If I had to keep it ON it will drain more battery by being always on.
ponury

Postby Ironist » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:21 am

I don't know how WhatsApp exactly do that.... but if the smartphone is in the pocket (or you put your finger on the sensors) the popup message window will not be shown and the display will not be activated.
Ironist

Postby ponury » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:33 am

Ironist wrote:I don't know how WhatsApp exactly do that.... but if the smartphone is in the pocket (or you put your finger on the sensors) the popup message window will not be shown and the display will not be activated.

That's a bit different :-) But I'll take a look at it after I manage to handle the 4.3 release.
ponury

Postby Nekrozys » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:01 pm

I agree, this would be a great idea. I'm currently testing it and my Nexus 4 keeps unlocking itself in my pocket even though I edited the doubletap2wake with Threshold 100/100 and timeout 200ms.

No idea if it can help you in any way but I noticed that Android checks the proximity sensor at each notification. If it sees something near itself, the screen won't light probably in order to prevent the phone to accidentally unlock itself in a pocket.

I'm running CM 10.1.2 with your TouchControl dedicated kernel on a Nexus 4.
Nekrozys

Return to Release Thread