It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:32 am Advanced search

GN, Slim Bean ROM 4.3x how to enable TC?

GN, Slim Bean ROM 4.3x how to enable TC?

Postby Rex » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:26 am

Hi,

Galaxy Nexus, rooted, Slim ROM 4.3 build 1.9: http://www.slimroms.net/
Settings / About phone shows Kernel version = 3.0.94-leanKernel-8.1-g0d0cd98

After I installed TouchControl 1.85, it says no module found. And asks to download a module. I have no idea what to answer to TC in the dialog asking about which kernel to select:

- Mpokang SuperRam v10
- Franco Nightly #384
- Franco Nightly #391
- Ponury stock modified
- Stock-modified

I could not find a satisfactory answer in the FAQ section and the tutorial video I found in this forum. Is there somewhere in the forum that has a guide to explain:

1- "What to do if Touch Control says "No saved module found, would you like to try to download one?".

2- How to check if the kernel currently in the phone is compatible with TC?

3- How to select a kernel? What are the risks of swapping the current kernel for one which is TouchControl friendly? Could that break the ROM?

4- What happen to the phone, if TC has been installed but no module loaded because of kernel compatibility?

Sorry for all the questions but I am novice with all the kernel and module business. Thanks in advance for any help.
Rex

Re: GN, Slim Bean ROM 4.3x how to enable TC?

Postby ponury » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:51 am

Rex wrote:Hi,

Galaxy Nexus, rooted, Slim ROM 4.3 build 1.9: http://www.slimroms.net/
Settings / About phone shows Kernel version = 3.0.94-leanKernel-8.1-g0d0cd98

After I installed TouchControl 1.85, it says no module found. And asks to download a module. I have no idea what to answer to TC in the dialog asking about which kernel to select:

- Mpokang SuperRam v10
- Franco Nightly #384
- Franco Nightly #391
- Ponury stock modified
- Stock-modified

I could not find a satisfactory answer in the FAQ section and the tutorial video I found in this forum. Is there somewhere in the forum that has a guide to explain:

1- "What to do if Touch Control says "No saved module found, would you like to try to download one?".

That means you need to download module from net. It will not ask it once you download module.

Rex wrote:2- How to check if the kernel currently in the phone is compatible with TC?

If it's 100% compatibility it will not ask you which module you have, it will just download it and run.

Rex wrote:3- How to select a kernel? What are the risks of swapping the current kernel for one which is TouchControl friendly? Could that break the ROM?

I like to choose the most popular kernels because they tend to be more stable. They can however break rom if it needs some special features from kernel (if it does require that then I consider it a bad rom)

Rex wrote:4- What happen to the phone, if TC has been installed but no module loaded because of kernel compatibility?

Absolutely nothing. If module loaded with fail then it might reboot or hang. Probably reboot.
ponury

Re: GN, Slim Bean ROM 4.3x how to enable TC?

Postby Rex » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:13 am

UPDATE: Operation successful

(For Galaxy Nexus) I use franco.Kernel updater Free to download the latest version (r392 as of this writing). Then flashed it via TWRP. Fortunately, the franco kernel seems to be compatible with the ROM I am using (Slim Bean ROM v4.31 build 2 stable). It has been just 10 minutes ago so I cannot really assess the stability.

Then I started TouchControl, download a module corresponding to franco Kernel. And voila! It works right away. Cool app, now my first training is to undo the habit of reaching the power button to unlock the phone.

Thanks for this cool app.
Rex

Return to Release Thread