It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:18 am Advanced search

Why mostly Nexus devices?

Why mostly Nexus devices?

Postby Rex » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi,

What is the reason TouchControl target Nexus devices? Is it because they are easier to program? Author deliberate choice? Or simply because they don't have a home button so TC is more useful?

I suppose owner of other devices would like to have TC working on their phone too.

Just curious, thanks for any info.
Rex

Re: Why mostly Nexus devices?

Postby ponury » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:53 am

Rex wrote:Hi,

What is the reason TouchControl target Nexus devices? Is it because they are easier to program? Author deliberate choice? Or simply because they don't have a home button so TC is more useful?

I suppose owner of other devices would like to have TC working on their phone too.

Just curious, thanks for any info.

Well first of all it started with HTC Evo 3D because the button position was crappy and I couldn't reach it. Then I got Galaxy Nexus which was great and I missed the feature. What I immediately loved about nexus devices was that I always got sources to work with and I didn't have to wait for the company to release kernel source. Also it seems to be less fragmented. People usually stay on stock rom with some kernel changes. It makes life simpler :) Also update is fast and people quickly move to new android version. And since I have to buy the device to write TC for it I just buy nexus devices because they are cheaper then other flagship devices.
ponury

Postby Rex » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:03 am

Oh wow, thank you for sharing the story which is quite straightforward actually. But pardon me for a silly question. So programming TouchControl is something you must have access to the hardware physically? For testing or is it because each hardware require a different module for TC? Let's say for an app like a game or music player, I suppose it's high level enough so the developer could test on one device and is almost certain it will work on other devices.

What if a user having a smartphone of a brand that you didn't test yet. Is there a possible chance that TC will work (like the music player app in the example above) or would this fail 100%? Because if you need to validate it for each model of smartphone individually, I am afraid your app will not cover a big market share in the play store.
Rex

Postby ponury » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Rex wrote:Oh wow, thank you for sharing the story which is quite straightforward actually. But pardon me for a silly question. So programming TouchControl is something you must have access to the hardware physically? For testing or is it because each hardware require a different module for TC? Let's say for an app like a game or music player, I suppose it's high level enough so the developer could test on one device and is almost certain it will work on other devices.

What if a user having a smartphone of a brand that you didn't test yet. Is there a possible chance that TC will work (like the music player app in the example above) or would this fail 100%? Because if you need to validate it for each model of smartphone individually, I am afraid your app will not cover a big market share in the play store.

Since it's designed for specific hardware and kernel it will not work on different device for sure. It's a kernel hack and uses hardware without high-level API. I know it won't get big market but I do it for myself :-) And I need the device to actually find a way to hack the kernel into doing what I want. There is no "universal" method to do it. Each device is different.
ponury

Postby Rex » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:41 pm

You could be a rich man if you can sell the idea of TouchControl to Google. Does Google people know such a cool thing is possible? This must be implemented natively in Android!

You must somehow get help to patent this idea. If ever Apple is aware of this. They will patent it and you will be screwed! Imagine iPhone users have this on their phones? They will all run nake down the street and screaming that's the greatest feature in the universe.
Rex

Postby ponury » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:51 am

Rex wrote:You could be a rich man if you can sell the idea of TouchControl to Google. Does Google people know such a cool thing is possible? This must be implemented natively in Android!

You must somehow get help to patent this idea. If ever Apple is aware of this. They will patent it and you will be screwed! Imagine iPhone users have this on their phones? They will all run nake down the street and screaming that's the greatest feature in the universe.

I think they know. They just don't care about it :) We'll see what future brings.
ponury

Return to Release Thread