It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:04 am Advanced search

TouchControl offers limited choice of kernel modules

here report bugs for TouchControl/PGM

TouchControl offers limited choice of kernel modules

Postby gronostaj » Sat May 10, 2014 11:26 pm

Hi there.

I'm using paid version of TouchControl on my Galaxy Nexus. TC offers me only 3 modules: stock modified, Franco nightly r395 and Dirty_V 3.16.14 ("insmod failed" on Dirty_V). Problem affects ParanoidAndroid 3.99 (Jelly Bean) and PA 4.x beta (KitKat) since v2 update, downgrading to 1.x fixes it.

I've tried clearing app data, but it doesn't seem to help. Could you please suggest something to make more modules available on my device?

Btw, thanks for such an awesome app. I'm currently sticking to Franco r395 just to have TouchControl working.
gronostaj

Re: TouchControl offers limited choice of kernel modules

Postby ponury » Sun May 11, 2014 11:02 am

I don't think I'll work with more kernels on GN for now.
ponury

Postby gronostaj » Sun May 11, 2014 1:06 pm

That's some bad news for me.

I'm quite desperate to move to some other kernel because performance of Franco and stock one is unacceptable. Maybe you could reveal some details on module development process, so community can create new ones on its own? It could make life a little bit easier for you and would expand the list of supported kernels.
gronostaj

Postby ponury » Sun May 11, 2014 1:10 pm

gronostaj wrote:That's some bad news for me.

I'm quite desperate to move to some other kernel because performance of Franco and stock one is unacceptable. Maybe you could reveal some details on module development process, so community can create new ones on its own? It could make life a little bit easier for you and would expand the list of supported kernels.

Unfortunately it's not that easy. Any kernel that is close to franco or stock will work but if you make a lot of changes in kernel source then it won't.
ponury

Postby gronostaj » Sun May 11, 2014 2:54 pm

ponury wrote:Unfortunately it's not that easy. Any kernel that is close to franco or stock will work but if you make a lot of changes in kernel source then it won't.

I know it's not easy, but having to reverse engineer your modules makes it even harder ;) If you could release some working code for stock kernel, it would let other developers understand how TC modules work and enable them to develop modules for other kernels.

There's one thing I don't get. On TC's homepage in Galaxy Nexus stats there are more kernels listed, such as Franco r396, DirtyV SR, SmittyV and ParanoidAndroid kernel. Why can't I see those in TC when downloading modules? Where can I download them?
gronostaj

Postby ponury » Sun May 11, 2014 5:48 pm

Where are these modules listed? And no, I will not release source code for this, I did it once and nothing good happened from it.
ponury

Postby gronostaj » Sun May 11, 2014 8:11 pm

Here's a screenshot with URL visible: http://i.imgur.com/W7fFiHh.png (phpBB won't let me make it a link)

One thing that comes to mind is that Franco version numbers (#395 and #396) are shifted by one and this list includes TouchControl 1.x modules. But even with those assumptions, there are still some kernel modules that I can't download in v2.2.1 nor v1.8.5. Specifically ParanoidAndroid, Fancy Kernel, DirtyV-SR and one of SmittyV variants.
gronostaj

Postby ponury » Sun May 11, 2014 11:19 pm

These are "requests" not downloaded modules. So if you compile your own kernel with some name and run the app then it will blip there as +1 :)
ponury

Postby gronostaj » Mon May 12, 2014 12:35 am

ponury wrote:These are "requests" not downloaded modules. So if you compile your own kernel with some name and run the app then it will blip there as +1 :)

Ahh, that makes sense. I guess I should whitelist it in the firewall ;)

By the way, DirtyV 3.16.14 module for v1.8.5 seems to work for DirtyV 5.3.14. v2.2.1 module started to work too. I don't know if it's your magic that fixed it or my device has just decided to cooperate, but my GNex is super-responsive and has TouchControl awesomeness working again. Thanks a lot, you're my role model ;)
gronostaj

Return to Bug reports